How to Do the beginner pilates move the Saw
Search "Pilates animation" on Wonderhowto for other more videos by this user.
If you are looking a for a quick pilates reference, take a look at this pilates animation. This a quick & easy, clearly explained diagram of the pilates mat exercise: Classical Pilates for Beginners:
The Saw. Pilates exercises focus on breathing, alignments of the spine & build strong torso muscles.
Setup for Saw:
* Inhale and sit tall on your sit bones with your back against an imaginary wall.
* Legs slightly wider than your shoulders, knees pointing to the ceiling and heels lengthening away.
* Arms straight out to the side, palms down, shoulder blades down.
Action for Saw.
* Exhale, twist to the right, lower your back arm slightly.
* Exhale further and look toward your back arm as you reach your little finger past your little toe.
* Inhale to and scoop deeper as you roll back up then twist back to the midline and return to the mid-line.
Classic Pilates Cueing:
* Twist from the waist. Reach further, further, further!
* Keep your C-curve as you reach!
* Stretches the spine, chest and shoulder girdle in rotation.
* Improves respiration.
* Anchor sit bones to mat! -Use your abdominals (powerhouse) to reach into the twist.
* Lower your back arm and let the palm face the ceiling (the model to the left has her back arm too high).
* Look back with your eyes, and bring your ear over your knee.