Search "Pilates animation" on Wonderhowto for other more videos by this user.
If you are looking a for a quick pilates reference, take a look at this pilates animation. This a quick & easy, clearly explained diagram of the pilates mat exercise: Classical Pilates for Beginners:
Wall Push Ups. Pilates exercises focus on breathing, alignments of the spine & build strong torso muscles.
Setup for Pilates Wall Push Ups:
* Stand in Pilates stance with your toes two foot lengths away from the wall, and place your hands on the wall, with fingers directly in front of your shoulders.
* Scoop your abs; clench your buttocks and inner thighs.
* Lengthen tall, and keep your elbows close in to your body.
* Roll the points of your shoulders back and your shoulder blades downward.
Action for Wall Push Ups.
* Inhale and lower to the wall, keeping your elbows close to your body.
* Hold. Points of your shoulders back, shoulder blades down!
* Exhale to push the wall away from you.
Classic Pilates Cueing:
* Roll your shoulder blades away from your ears.
* Elbows close!
* Works the triceps, stretches the pectorals.
* Activates the shoulder stabilizers (Serratus anterior, lower trapezius, infraspinatus - these muscles constitute the "upper power house").
* Lengthen tall, inhale and exhale fully.
* Relax and lengthen your shoulders out to the side, and roll your shoulder blades down ("activate your upper powerhouse" - diag. left).
* Use a friend to check that your latissimus dorsi is relaxed, and that your shoulder blades do not lift away from your ribs (right hand diagram).
Modifications: Don't let pain or weakness stop you! There is always a modification. Take your time and find the right one for you. If in doubt, seek advice!
* Shoulder pain - "Lower" just half way to the wall.
* Neck pain - keep your neck long and relaxed.
It’s Cyber Monday on WonderHowTo! Don’t miss out on all the big sales in the Gadget Hacks shop and Null Byte shop. Use code CMSAVE20 to save on everything, and use CMSAVE40 for all things apps and software. For online courses, apply code CMSAVE70 for the biggest discounts.